Report: Nintendo’s Next Platform NX Is A Console-Handheld Hybrid

Home Forums Nintendo Hardware Chit Chat Nintendo Hardware Report: Nintendo’s Next Platform NX Is A Console-Handheld Hybrid

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Eddy Ray Eddy Ray 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Eddy Ray
    Eddy Ray
    Admin
    My Trophies
    Super Mario All-Stars Coin IconForum Content Master – XP IconHylian Shield from OOT IconFriendship Master – XP IconStatus Update – XP IconMessage Delivered – XP IconLogin – XP Icon

A report from the Wall Street Journal states…

The exact shape of the NX hardware isn’t yet clear. People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use. They also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices, after criticism that the Wii U’s capabilities didn’t match those of competitors.

Profile photo of BanjoKazooie
    BanjoKazooie
    ChitChatter
    My Trophies

No Achievements Yet!

Most of these rumours I take with a grain of salt, however seeing its origin is the wall street journal does give it a little credence. I’m really hoping it is powerful enough to at least compete with PS4 and X1, but really it should be several times more powerful to make up for it being possibly 4 years more mature.

Eddy Ray
    Admin
    My Trophies
    Super Mario All-Stars Coin IconForum Content Master – XP IconHylian Shield from OOT IconFriendship Master – XP IconStatus Update – XP IconMessage Delivered – XP IconLogin – XP Icon

Most of these rumours I take with a grain of salt, however seeing its origin is the wall street journal does give it a little credence. I’m really hoping it is powerful enough to at least compete with PS4 and X1, but really it should be several times more powerful to make up for it being possibly 4 years more mature.

If it is powerful enough (which I think it will be) I still worry about support from 3rd parties. What if Nintendo goes the route of cartridges instead of disc…. I guess 3rd parties could simply offer their games as download only, and some might make a cart… very interesting times ahead.

Profile photo of BanjoKazooie
      BanjoKazooie
      ChitChatter
      My Trophies

No Achievements Yet!

With how SD cards have matured they are a very reliable and incredibly fast way to read and write data. The only issue of the matter is that they are more expensive then discs. They are however harder to scratch, damage, or break in any way, but then again easier to lose.  I think the situation is different now than the days of cartridge versus disk, and now SD cards seem to be a very viable form of distribution.  I could see how third parties would use it as an excuse not to bring their games to nintendo, but lets be real, Nintendo could create the perfect system and they would always find an excuse to not their games to the system. It is unfortunately how 3rd parties run now a days.

Profile photo of Délio
    Délio
    ChitChatter
    My Trophies

No Achievements Yet!

I think it’s safe to say that NX will be more powerful than PS4. Not a single console was equal or weaker in power to any console in the previous generation.

The idea behind is very close to what i anticipated, with the difference being that i expected both pieces to be sold as two devices that could be brought together and would share the same library. Only one piece might be a bit risky.

Whatever industry leading chip means is anyone’s guess. I just hope the console is cheap.

Personally, i like where this is going because if this is true, it would surely mean two things:
    streamlined development = no one misses any game
    more free manpower = bigger projects/more franchises

Profile photo of R00bot
      R00bot
      ChitChatter
      My Trophies

No Achievements Yet!

Agreed, more devs open more of the time is the best possible outcome, and I can’t even count how many 3DS games I’ve wished would come to the Wii U.

Eddy Ray
    Admin
    My Trophies

I’m excited to see Nintendo carry on the Wii U gamepad technology. Off TV play is really a huge hit, if they can even improve the streaming tech for better distance or offer wifi connection to home console that would also be fantastic.

I expect games to be scaleable, meaning resolutions and such decrease slightly to run strongly on the mobile/portable and then on the home console you get top performance.

Eddy Ray
    Admin
    My Trophies

Agreed, more devs open more of the time is the best possible outcome, and I can’t even count how many 3DS games I’ve wished would come to the Wii U.

Yes, I agree 🙂

Profile photo of Délio
    Délio
    ChitChatter
    My Trophies

No Achievements Yet!

If they release one big pack of HC+HH, than the handheld will be the controller; if they release NX as two standalone devices, considering the fact that they will share the same library, the Gamepad will most likely see a return… unless the HH only has a single screen.

Profile photo of Hound
    Hound
    ChitChatter
    My Trophies

No Achievements Yet!

If they release one big pack of HC+HH, than the handheld will be the controller; if they release NX as two standalone devices, considering the fact that they will share the same library, the Gamepad will most likely see a return… unless the HH only has a single screen.

I must wonder how they’ll go about it. If they do the combo, then power of both might suffer because of it. But if they sell them separately, then they might not be as integrated, for hardware and for games. Unless one is simply a better version of the other, but why would the average consumer buy both, at that point?

It’ll be interesting to see what approach they deem best.

Profile photo of GFan
    GFan
    ChitChatter
    My Trophies
    Tingle Bottle from WW HD Icon

Yeah if its a hybrid expect Wii U level power. I just don’t think Nintendo actually cares about the “core” crowd.

Eddy Ray
    Admin
    My Trophies

Yeah if its a hybrid expect Wii U level power. I just don’t think Nintendo actually cares about the “core” crowd.

Well… i think the hybrid is out the window with all the news of a new handheld. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar