My left Joy-Con stopped working – Resolved

Home Forums Nintendo Hardware Chit Chat Nintendo Hardware Help My left Joy-Con stopped working – Resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Atticus Atticus 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Atticus
    Atticus
    My Trophies
    Pokemon GO – Team Valor IconFounding Member IconBlog Comment Master – XP IconLogin – XP Icon

Just wanted to share a tech issue I had with my Switch that wasn’t immediately obvious to resolve at first…

In my spare time at work yesterday I pulled out my Switch for a short session that I left on the doc to charge the night before with Joy-Cons attached. When I powered it on the still attached left Joy-Con would not respond at all to any inputs. I thought maybe it didn’t fully click (or *snap*) in when I attached it the night before on the doc and didn’t charge, so I connected the extra USB-C cord I had to charge the system after removing, examining, and re-attaching the left JC while assuring it was fully attached this time. I let an hour of charging go by and it was still completely unresponsive and wasn’t shown to be present in my Switch controller settings menus. I panicked slightly at this point and could not find a solution online.

At that point I pulled out the left Joy-Con and examined it again realizing now I pushed every button on it up to this point except the little sync button just to the right of the SR button. I pressed it and was then relieved to see that little green series of lights light up and down the side (or top depending on your perspective) of the controller for the first time that day. I then went into Controllers > Change Grip/Order from the main dashboard, pressed L on the left JC and all has be well since.

Some reading this might be thinking “Duh!” but it really caught me off guard as it’s the first time I’ve had a desync issue with one of these. It was such a random thing to happen too that it didn’t even enter my mind considering there was no sign of the controller even functioning at all, much less not being sync’d up. I just wanted to post this in case it helps a new Switch owner in the future.

Thanks.

Profile photo of Eddy Ray
    Eddy Ray
    Admin
    My Trophies
    Super Mario All-Stars Coin IconBlog Comment Master – XP IconForum Content Master – XP IconStatus Update – XP IconMessage Delivered – XP IconLogin – XP Icon

Good post and glad that is all it was. Same happened to me with the pro controller, it lost sync but i didn’t know that was the cause because it didn’t happen before. Unlike Wii Motes where you had to sync so often, the Switch is really great in that regard and it can throw you for a loop one of the few times you may have to re-sync!

Profile photo of Atticus
    Atticus
    My Trophies
    Pokemon GO – Team Valor IconFounding Member IconBlog Comment Master – XP IconLogin – XP Icon

Exactly, that’s why it was so random and unexpected.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar