PAYDAY 2 – Switch Preview
Thanks to Starbreeze Studios for providing the game.
PAYDAY 2 on the Nintendo Switch, launches on February 27th in North America. The Switch version of Payday 2 allows players to take their heisting on the go, includes content previously released for the other console versions of the game, adds full touch screen menu support and a newly developed rumble feature that responds as you, for example, fire weapons or throw grenades.
There’s also an added local multiplayer mode called CRIME.NET Local Play, that allows you to set up a local game and invite up to four friends on the same local network. Finally, this version launches with a new character, Joy, releasing first on Switch complete with her own mask and weapons.
Take a look at our 1 hour preview coverage where we learn the basic mechanics of the game and what to do… and not to do during a heist!
I did notice the game seemed rather dark in some early areas so much that I couldn’t find my way off a building. Eventually I did manage to find my way, but you may want to increase the brightness before going neck deep into any serious heist. This may not be the game itself being to dark either, as I was streaming and it may of been my settings. Just a heads up.
The game sorta throws you right into a basic heist and there were a few things I couldn’t figure out, one including an ECM jammer and the doctors bag to heal up. The jammer is to be used against security cameras to give yourself a stealth advantage during the heist. It’s possible to shoot the cameras which I did but the gunfire will alert any people nearby. Jammers and the doctor bags need to be placed on a valid surface, and that appears to be on the ground.
I figured the jammer would need to be placed on the camera or on the wall however this is not the case. So hopefully this tidbit helps you not fail like me.
- Rob Banks, Get Paid – Players must choose their crew carefully, because when the job goes down they will need the right mix of skills on their side.
- CRIME.NET – The dynamic contract database CRIME.NET lets players pick and choose from available jobs by connecting with local Contractors – all with their own agenda and best interests in mind.
- Dynamic Scenarios – No heist ever plays out the same way twice, as heists comes with random geometry and events.
- Choose Your Skills – As players progress they can invest in any of five special Skill Trees: Mastermind, Enforcer, Ghost, Technician and Fugitive. Each features a deep customization tree of associated skills and equipment to master.
- More Masks than Ever – PAYDAY 2 features a completely new mask system, giving players the ability to craft their own unique mask together with a pattern and a color.
- Weapons and Modifications – A huge arsenal for the serious heister, covering everything from sniper to assault rifles. You can modify your weapon with optics, suppressors, fore grips, reticles, barrels, frames, stocks and lots more.
- Play It Your Way – Each job allows for multiple approaches, such as slow and stealthy ambushes, to running in guns blazing.
The game is filling a genre that the Switch is lacking.. FPS. Aside from maybe an indie title or two, no other high profile games except for DOOM have graced the system. It’s nice to see PAYDAY 2 arrive and the port seems very solid. Online co-op can be amazing, especially if you are joining with friends and are able to use discord voice chat to communicate and plan.
PAYDAY 2 isn’t a run and gun game persay, stealth can be a huge part of the game and it all comes down to how you plan out your attack for each heist. If this peaks your interest definitely check out PAYDAY 2 on the Nintendo Switch!